In my last acquisition, Corey turned over the entire Stripe account, which meant that there was no sort of migration necessary on the Stripe side other than to change the email, password, and banking info on the account.
For various reasons, that wasn’t going to be possible here, so I had to set up a new Stripe account for WP Pusher and one for Branch and ask Stripe to migrate the customers for each over.
This involved Peter generating two separate customer lists with customer IDs from Stripe. We then reached out to Stripe with these lists, gave our consent from either side and asked them to initiate the transfer, which their documentation said could take “up to 10 business days”.
It was at this point that they fell radio silent.
A chat with the support team every few days after the 10 days had more than passed resulted in responses that our ticket was “with the migrations team” and the front line support person couldn’t give me any more information. Now this I completely understand, so I asked them to have the migration team follow up with me directly, just so I could get a sense of when we could expect to have the customers migrated. I never received this follow-up and from start to finish it took over a month to get all the customer migrated.
Another issue with the Stripe migration process is, while they migrate the customers and their payment info, they come over without an active subscription. There are services and scripts that help recreate these for you, but I wanted to make sure no one got accidentally charged, so I did this process manually, which was a bit of a slog.
Overall, for the next acquisition, I would think hard about whether not being able to take over the existing Stripe account might be a dealbreaker, as this was the part of the process that took the longest by far and involved the most manual work on my end.